The Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA) seeks a talented, creative and committed Communications and Policy Coordinator to oversee LCLAA’s communications, marketing and policy strategy. The Communications and Policy Coordinator will be responsible for carrying LCLAA’s message to the media, local and national leaders, membership, and to the public through various media and communications outlets. This person must demonstrate exceptional writing and editing skills, with proven experience writing news stories, editorials, speeches, press releases, promotional/advertising copy, and social media posts. The Communications and Policy Coordinator must show strong commitment to workers’ rights and be able to produce effective marketing and outreach materials to support LCLAA’s programs and campaigns. The individual must have a strong grasp of social media and effectively communicate with our membership and external audiences to raise the visibility of LCLAA and its local chapters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communications and Policy Coordinator will work closely with the LCLAA team to support LCLAA’smission and work through the following duties:
- Lead communication/digital engagement to amplify LCLAA’s work and campaigns through aggressive communications outreach, including print and digital media, and online engagement through social media.
- Develop strategic messaging for LCLAA’s campaigns and priorities.
- Draft and write press releases, talking points, op-eds, media advisories and bi-weekly newsletters.
- Plan press conferences.
- Oversee distribution of targeted e-blasts and communications on Action Network;
- Monitor press coverage about LCLAA, its members and issues impacting Latino workers and labor.
- Actively pitch stories to reporters to expand press coverage of LCLAA and its work.
- Establish relationships with key reporters and producers.
- Build and maintain a database of media outlets, reporters and producer.
- Manage all content and engagement on LCLAA’s social media outlets, i.e., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other outlets as needed.
- Design and create visuals and graphics for LCLAA events.
- Develop an outreach and communication plan for LCLAA chapter engagement.
- Promote LCLAA chapter events and campaigns.
- Generate content and maintain LCLAA’s website.
Policy and Programs
- Support the policy, advocacy and research needs related to LCLAA’s work and mission.
- Develop strong relations with policy leaders, Government Agencies, their staff and LCLAA partners in the labor union movement and the Latino civil rights, research and advocacy community.
- Develop campaign strategies and take the lead on related coalition building under the directive of the Executive Director.
- Attends hearings and briefings related to LCLAA’s legislative priorities and represents LCLAA at conferences, meetings and work related events.
- Participates in labor and Latino coalition meetings to stay abreast of policy and advocacy issues and assists the Executive Director in preparing necessary materials for such meetings.
- At least 10% of weekly responsibilities will focus on administrative duties, including answering phone calls, letter writing, and updating communication and maintaining communication with members.
- Provide assistance and support on LCLAA events, meetings, press conferences and other gatherings.
- Assist in the planning and execution of LCLAA National conferences, conventions and other events.
- Some travel required.
- Additional duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in communications, political science, Latino studies or related field preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience in communications, media outreach and social media.
- Proven experience placing media stories, and increasing followers and engagement in social media platforms.
- A passion for advocating and communicating about the Latino community
- A successful candidate will be an excellent writer, have a strong attention to detail, thrive at multitasking.
- Working knowledge of Indesign and other design software.
- Photoshop experience.
- Demonstrated ability to create social media campaigns, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, Google+, blogs and websites.
- Creative in using new media to communicate LCLAA priorities, including experience-producing infographics.
- Self-starter who is able to self-manage, with input from other staff;
- Excellent project management skills, demonstrated experience meeting deadlines and providing fast turn-around of quality products and working in a high-pressure environment;
- Able to innovate and excel while working with wide range of chapters, members, coalition partners;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate and work well with internal and external staff at all levels
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus, though not required; and
- The candidate must be a great team player who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Employer-paid health, dental and vision insurance; annual vacation, paid federal holidays, 403B plan offered.
Application deadline: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis, open until filled.
Approximate start Date: immediately.
For more information, please visit www.lclaa.org No phone calls please.
The Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA) is the leading national organization for Latino(a) workers and their families. LCLAA was born in 1972 out of the need to educate, organize and mobilize Latinos in the labor movement and has expanded its influence to organize Latinos in an effort to impact workers' rights and their influence in the political process. LCLAA represents the interest of more than 2 million Latino workers in the American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO), The Change to Win Federation, Independent Unions and all its membership.
LCLAA is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit our website for more information on our organization at: www.lclaa.org